Configuration and Settings of ZyXEL Routers
Proceed to connect your laptop or desktop computer to the router. You can either use a Wi-Fi connection, or an Ethernet cable for that purpose. Fire up Chrome or any other internet browser you prefer. Enter the default IP and hit enter. Then proceed to use the username and password you found out earlier to log into the admin panel. ZyXEL routers have an intuitive admin panel interface that allows you to quickly navigate through the device’s various settings. There you can change the default IP, logins, and SSID and enable features such as parental control and VPN. Make the necessary adjustments to optimize your network and don’t forget to save all changes before exiting the admin interface.
About ZyXEL Communications Corporation
The Chinese ZyXEL Communications Corporation has been a major player in the Asian technological market since the end of the 1980s. Since its expansion on the global market in the early 21st century, ZyXEL started offering powerful, yet budget-friendly routers that satisfy the needs of home and office users alike. ZyXEL was founded by one Dr. Shun-I Chu and at present boasts four regional headquarters – in Asia, Europe, North America, and the Middle East. The corporation further has three research centers and 35 branch offices. ZyXEL is a relatively small company with just some 700 employees worldwide. In 1992 they launched the world’s first integrated voice/fax/modem. They also became responsible for the world’s first Analog/digital ISDN modem in 1995 and many more notable innovations in the networking field. The size of the corporation doesn’t stop it from being one of the most reliable and important wireless router providers around. It is no coincidence they have 14 consecutive Best Taiwan Global Brands Awards under their belt. They have even created their own Operating System – ZyNOS, which is used by all their networking devices.
ZyXEL routers models and types
ZyXel offers a wide range of wireless routers for both homes and small offices. The most popular models the company offers are:
- Armor G5. AX6000 12-Stream Multi-Gigabit WiFi 6 Router.
- Armor G1. AC2600 Multi-Gigabit WiFi Router.
- NBG7510. AX1800 WiFi 6 Gigabit Router.
- NBG6615. AC1200 MU-MIMO Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router.
- NBG6604. AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Router.
- NBG6515. AC750 Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router.
- NBG-418N v2. Wireless N300 Home Router.
Armor G5. AX6000 is the true heavyweight in the company’s range. This 12 Stream router will allow you to operate your network at full capacity and connect what seems to be an endless string of devices to it. It offers 10G, 5G, 2.5G, 1G, and Ethernet support. What is more, Armor G5. AX6000 comes at somewhat lower prices than similar products by competitors, so it is kind to your budget as well.
If your networking needs are humbler, and you are looking for a simple Dual-Band wireless router for your home, consider the NBG6515. AC750 Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router. It is compatible with IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards and can offer a maximum speed of 300 + 433 Mbps. This should be more than enough to fulfill the casual needs of every household, and it costs around $60.
Troubleshooting Your ZyXEL Issues
While more of an exception than a rule, sometimes ZyXEL owners report some issues with the routers:
- Overheating happens when downloading large files or continuously streaming data for an extended period. In rare cases, the ZyXEL routers start producing excessive heat under such conditions. Most often when that happens the router starts randomly disconnecting devices from the network. To resolve this issue, shut your ZyXEL router down and allow it to cool off. Before switching it back on, make sure that no vents on the device are blocked. Clean it if necessary and change its location to a more ventilated area in your home or office.
- Outdated firmware, especially in older models, can create connectivity issues and even prevent the ZyXEL router from operating altogether. Before you start using your ZyXEL router for the first time, make sure its firmware is up-to-date. Log into the admin panel. There should be a firmware update option somewhere in the Network settings menu. Download the new firmware and restart it. Don’t worry if your router switches off during the update – it is a normal part of the process.